A hug in a bowl on a cold evening – plus an excellent speedy recipe for Welsh Rarebit.
Cawl Cennin - Welsh Leek Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 3 leeks medium, cleaned and sliced
- 400 g potatoes roughly chopped
- 900 ml vegetable stock
- 150 ml double cream
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
For the Quick Welsh Rarebit Toast
- 225 g cheddar cheese grated
- 25 g butter softened
- 1 tbsp Wocestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp English Mustard
- 2 tbsp Welsh ale or milk
- 4 slices bread toasted
- To make the soup, heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion, leek and potato and cook for 4-5 minutes or until softened and lightly coloured.
- Add the stock and seasoning, bring to the boil then cover, reduce the heat to simmer for 15 minutes or until the potato is tender.
- Whiz with a hand blender to a smooth consistency then reheat, stir in the cream or crème fraiche and adjust the seasoning, to taste.
- Meanwhile for the Welsh Rarebit, crumble the cheese and mix with the butter, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and ale or milk. Spread evenly over the toast and cook under a preheated grill for 1-2 minutes to melt the cheese and tinge brown in places.
- Ladle the hot soup into bowls and garnish with chopped parsley. Cut the Welsh Rarebit into triangles to enjoy with the soup.