Your summer of family fun starts right here at your Cathedral
There are loads of fun things to do at Gloucester Cathedral this summerand from Saturday 24 July until Sunday 5 September everyone is invited to take part in a fun Summer Challenge suitable for all the family. Come along and collect a free Summer Challenge sheet from the Cathedral Welcome Desk featuring loads of activities for you to try. When you have completed one of the listed activities you can return to the Welcome Desk to collect a sticker and use it to finish the picture of the Tower on the front of your sheet.
How many activities will you complete? When you have completed nine of the challenges listed below you’ll receive a gold medal!
Of course, you are welcome to complete all of them if you want to!
- Climb to the top of the Tower on a Tower Tour*
- Look for a window that shows the coronation of Henry III in the Cathedral when he was just 9 years old
- Lie on the floor or use the mirror to look up at the golden heavenly orchestra on the Quire ceiling
- Feed the hungry gargoyles near the exit*
- Enjoy an ice cream from the Monk’s Kitchen café*
- Find a stone mason’s mark
- Download the free Gloucester Cathedral app
- See where Harry Potter was filmed in the Cloister using the info hub or a Magic, Monks and Mystery Guide*
- Find the tomb of a murdered King
- Venture down into the oldest part of the building on a Crypt Tour*
- Buy a souvenir from the Gift Shop*
- Hug a pillar in the Nave. How many people with arms outstretched would you need to reach all the way around?
- Illuminate the Mason’s Bracket monument in the South Transept by putting some change in the box*
- Light a candle. You might want to sit quietly, say a prayer or remember a loved one while you do it
- Dress up as a Cathedral character in the Tribune Gallery (costumes for both children and grown ups!)
- Send a secret message through the Whispering Gallery
- Relax in a deckchair in the Cathedral Garth (garden)
- Play medieval games on Cathedral Green (instructions available from the Welcome Desk)
We can’t wait to see you and your pictures this summer so don’t forget to share pictures of yourself completing the challenge on social media using the hashtag – #GCsummerchallenge
Remember to please check www.gloucestercathedral.org.uk/calendar for the latest opening times before travelling to see us.
Availability of all activities may vary depending on covid restrictions. Please note that Tower and Crypt Tours are not currently available but will resume later in the summer.
* Activity involves a cost
To find out about other events and activities taking place at Gloucester Cathedral this summer visit www.gloucestercathedral.org.uk