LOCAL: Oakhaven Hospice launches ‘Moment Makers’ 

‘Moment Makers’ is a new initiative by Oakhaven Hospice, focused on monthly donations that will directly support patients and their families. 

Eddie and Janet enjoying time together at Oakhaven’s Day Hospice

In supporting Oakhaven by giving regular donations, supporters can help make every moment matter for patients with life-limiting illnesses and their families. 

The demand for the care and support provided by Oakhaven is increasing each year. Last year, Oakhaven Hospice cared for 1,400 patients, both in the hospice and in homes throughout the New Forest, Totton and Waterside, free of charge. In addition, over 4,300 people navigating bereavement or a life-limiting illness received support through Oakhaven’s Coates Centre. 

Yet only 11% of the hospice’s funding is covered by the government – the remaining 89% must be raised via donations, gifts in Wills, fundraising, the charity’s shops and the social enterprise Oakhaven Care Ltd. 

Melanie Stone, Head of Fundraising at Oakhaven, explained; “Our new regular giving initiative enables our community to donate an affordable amount every month that will have a lasting impact. Through their generosity, Moment Makers create special and meaningful moments for local people. Creating treasured memories in the toughest of times. Bringing continuous comfort, care, and much-needed and deserved joy to someone at the end of life.

“By becoming a Moment Maker you will become part of a cherished community making a big difference in the lives of those facing the end of life. Your commitment will safeguard compassionate end-of-life care, so it remains accessible to all who need it.”

Jan’s husband, Colin, spent his last week at Oakhaven Hospice. Touched by the exceptional care she and Colin received, Jan has become a Moment Maker, supporting Oakhaven to ensure others experience meaningful moments in their final days. 

Jan said; “Everyone at Oakhaven was so lovely. Just so kind and gentle. On the Friday night, the nurses sensed that Colin didn’t have very long left so they asked me if I wanted to stay the night. It meant that whenever Colin stirred, I was right there to hold his hand and comfort him. Colin died early that morning. If the nurses hadn’t suggested I stay, Colin would have been alone and I would have been woken up by the worst phone call imaginable. Instead, we were able to have one last memory together.” 

Jan and Colin

Imagine the moments you could create with your regular gift. Your moment could be filled with laughter – often heard in Oakhaven’s Day Hospice. You could be covering the cost of counselling to support a patient’s family. Or you could make it possible for someone’s beloved pet to visit the hospice to say goodbye. You have the power to turn the ordinary into the extraordinary by becoming an Oakhaven Moment Maker.

To become a Moment Maker, visit www.oakhavenhospice.co.uk/moment-makers where you can sign up online or download a form to complete and return in the post. 

For more information please call the fundraising team on 01590 677773 or email fundraising@oakhavenhospice.co.uk.

Minerva Studio
Author: Minerva Studio