It’s that wonderful time of year when leaves transform into fiery hues of browns and reds, nights become cosier and anticipation of the festive season begins.
This month there’s still time to add seasonal colour and interest to your garden as well as forward planning for 2022. And with pick-up-and-grow kits for beginners to unusual plants for more experienced gardeners, now is the perfect time to head down to RHS Wisley Garden Centre for inspiration and advice.
Before heavy frosts, rain and winds begin to make spending time in your garden less appealing, there are a few key jobs to still be done during this month:
- 2022 prep continues! Now is the last chance to plant spring flowering bulbs before temperatures drop, and the soil become too cold and compact.
- Lift any tender perennials and bring indoors to protect from any potential frosts. For any that are too tender or difficult to move, fleecing is the ideal solution.
- Plant evergreen shrubs & trees while the soil is still warm, giving them time to settle into the ground before harsher weather comes in.
This month in our garden centre bulb planting and seasonal interest are key:
- Bloomin’ great bulbs need to be planted asap so shop our wide collection of bulbs while they’re still in stock.
- Azaleas and Rhododendrons are starting to come in. These fabulous hardy medium-large shrubs thrive best in acidic soil. To give them the best start, we recommend using one of our RHS peat-free ericaceous composts when planting.
- Camellias have arrived! These easy-to-grow hardy evergreen shrubs are great for gardens and containers. Their show of pinks, whites and reds provide a hit of colour when other plants have finished flowering for the year.
- Hellebores are always stunning and now is the beginning of their season. 99% of our garden centre Hellebore stock is from the UK, so plant now in moist, free-draining soil to enjoy their beautiful show of nodding flowers through winter and into spring. They’re also a great source of food for pollinating insects in early spring.
- Japanese Maples are wonderful for larger spaces to bring autumn/winter colour to your garden. Our Wisley Garden Centre also has a fabulous selection of Acers from UK specialist nurseries.
Starting to feel festive?
For kids the countdown began about 5 months ago, but are you starting to think about Christmas yet? Well, if you’re looking to find the perfect gift now or planning your festive indoor decoration colour scheme then visit our Christmas shop, open now, for inspiration over the festive season. You’ll find gifts galore and decorations to suit all tastes in our garden centre. Next month our fabulous selection of trees, wreaths and festive houseplants will be arriving too, so although it may feel a bit early yet, planning where to put your tree now will make deciding which tree is best for you that bit easier when December comes around!
RHS Wisley Garden Centre, Woking, Surrey GU23 6QB
Tel: 01483 224234
For more info visit rhs.org.uk/gardens/wisley/plan-your-visit/shopping-eating
Sun 11-5pm (browsing from 10.30)