California Walnut Keema by Nadia’s Healthy Kitchen
To kick-start vegan month (November), California Walnuts has developed seven meatless meals for each day of the week.
The mild and creamy flavour of California Walnuts can be enjoyed in a host of recipes. Once ground, walnuts also offer a wholesome, plant-based meat substitute that can work in curries, pizza toppings and more.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 130 g California Walnuts
- 1/2 small onion finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 small pieces of cinnamon bark
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 tbsp garlic ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp chilli
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 1/4-12 cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Salt & pepper
- 60 g frozen peas thawed
- Place the California Walnuts in a food processor and pulse a few times until crumbly. Don’t blend for too long. You don’t want the texture to be too fine.
- Transfer to a bowl and cover with lukewarm water. Leave to soak for 15-20 minutes, then drain.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan. Sauté the onions for about 5 minutes until transparent, then add the bay leaf, cinnamon bark and cardamom pods. Cook for another minute.
- Add the garlic ginger paste and spices, then add the walnut mince. Toss and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the tomato puree, water, maple syrup and lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until the mixture thickens (about 5 minutes), then fold in the thawed peas. Take off the heat, garnish with fresh coriander and serve with rice. Enjoy!
Serving: 96g | Calories: 271kcal | Carbohydrates: 7.3g | Protein: 7.4g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 2.5g | Fibre: 3.8g | Sugar: 5.3g
Nutritionals are based on 4 servings