Leading dog-friendly holiday company since 2014, PetsPyjamas, reveals the winners of their annual Dog-Friendly Travel Awards...
Selected from the thousands of their truly welcoming dog-friendly hotels, cottages, country houses and B&Bs in the UK and abroad, PetsPyjamas have selected 12 winners worthy of a dog’s future paw miles, with a category to please every kind of hound (and their human).
1. Overall Winner ‘Best in Show’ – Homewood Hotel & Spa, Bath, Somerset: judges were won over by this luxurious 13th-century property, nestled within the 20-acres of beautiful grounds and fusing contemporary design with historic elements. The judges loved this hotel for as well as being luxurious, it also offers a fabulous welcome to furry friends. Guests can take their dog almost everywhere in the hotel including sitting rooms and bar, they can dine with their dog and there’s even a specially curated doggie menu. Relax in charming bedrooms or suites, alternatively indulge in the luxurious spa. The staff are super dog friendly and can recommend local walks and pubs for dogs close by. From £210 per night.
2. Best New Dog-Friendly Stays for 2021 – De Vere Cotswold Water Park, South Cerney, Gloucestershire: located in the heart of 152 lakes that spread across the unique Cotswold Water Park, this 2021 newbie is an absolute pet paradise! With a choice of stylish bedrooms and apartments, it’s a delightful sanctuary to unwind with a best furry friend in tow. There are extensive grounds to explore including nature reserves, a gym and spa, plus various dining options including the dog-friendly Lounge Bar and onsite Pub, The Old Boathouse, so there is plenty to keep everyone happy. From £159 per night.
3. Gourmet Getaways – Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons, Great Milton, Oxfordshire: famously created by celebrated chef Raymond Blanc, this dog-friendly gastro getaway is a must for foodies. A grand manor house in a beautiful setting, it offers the best in old-fashioned luxury, with impeccable service, magnificent rooms, and an award-winning restaurant that promises one of Britain’s finest gastronomic experiences. Described as “a twist of imaginative genius”, Raymond Blanc’s dishes utilise the freshest, best quality ingredients from the two-acre kitchen garden. Pampered pets will love exploring the secret places within the property’s lawns, as well as the fuss they receive from all the staff. From £763 per night.
4. Fido’s Family Friendly – Wilderness, Saxmundham, Suffolk: a collection of 12 gorgeous farmhouses and holiday cottages set on a 5,000 acre luxury estate, it was a clear winner for the family category with plenty of options for families to gather for special occasions. Spend lazy days fishing, toe-dipping, doggie paddling or enjoying the swimming pool and tennis courts too. The properties have well equipped kitchens or take the night off by hiring the in-house chef or dining at the dog-friendly pubs nearby. For the ultimate family gathering hire Chapel Barn – a renovated 15th-century barn with a dining room to cater for 30 guests. Prices are from £136 to £3625 per night.
5. Best Dog-Friendly Pubs with Rooms – The Three Blackbirds, Newmarket, Suffolk: this 17c super dog-friendly, recently refurbished village pub won over judges with its stylish decor and modern touches that create a lovely warm dog-welcoming stay. Humans can expect fantastic British food made from local produce from award-winning local suppliers, local ales and stylish dog-friendly bedrooms. Pooches will love the warm welcome, cosy blanket, flavoursome treats from Pooch’s of Norfolk, a sausage breakfast and walkies recommendations. From £110 per night.
6. Best PetsPyjamas Package – Merry Harriers, Godalming, Surrey: this charming, traditional styled dog-friendly village inn dates back to the 16th century and offers a mix of old and new, as well as delicious food and award-winning drinks. It also has resident llamas who can accompany humans and their well-behaved dogs on treks in the Surrey Hills. Guests can choose between dog-friendly Garden Rooms or quirky Shepherd Huts, positioned around a picturesque pond with fields beyond. Securing their award is the Merry Harriers’ two-to-six-night Barking Britain Packages including a welcome pack complete with dog bed, bowls, treats and a toy, plus a daily breakfast sausage and a doggie dinner for Fido on one night. For owners, there’s a chef’s delicious 3-course dinner one evening and a complimentary bottle of wine. From £405 per night.
7. Our Customer’s Favourites – Mill End Hotel, Chagford, Devon: this fabulous country house hideaway situated within Dartmoor National Park, topped the charts with PetsPyjamas travellers. Perfect for a walking break, spend days rambling and evenings dining in the hotel’s 2 Rosettes restaurant and relax in the comfy lounges by the log fires in winter or outside in the beautiful riverside gardens in the summer. Another crowd-pleaser is the ‘canine guide’ for a selection of top dog-friendly places to visit, homemade bone-shaped biscuits gift and a complimentary treat box. From £147 per night.
8. Top Luxe Properties – The Lygon Arms, Broadway, Worcestershire: a trip of doggie decadence and a chance to explore all that the Cotswolds has to offer, this is one PetsPyjamas most luxurious dog-friendly hotels set in the fabulous Cotswolds village of Broadway. Enjoy roaring open fireplaces, the Lygon Bar & Grill and period feature-filled dog-friendly bedrooms, with pet beds and treats provided as standard. After a day of walking and sightseeing, dogs can recharge in their room while owners relax in the hotel’s super-luxe spa complete with 13m indoor pool. Dogs may dine with their companion in The Lygon Bar, The Lygon Courtyard or the Lygon lounges. From £285 per night.
9. Charming Canine Cottages – High Ridge Barn, Staffordshire: this 18th Century barn makes a wonderful base for a rural retreat for a human pack of eight and up to four furry friends. Surrounded by farmland in a beautiful, wooded valley, it’s situated in the heart of the Peak District and is brimming with plenty of character and plenty of mod-cons. A well-equipped home from home, it also has a large wood-fired sauna and a dog-grooming parlour for post-walkies clean-up. To make a pooch feel even more comfortable, they are provided with a large dog bed, organic dog treats and more. From £270 per night.
10. Best for Walkies – King’s Head Inn, Great Ayton, North Yorkshire: this quintessential country pub won, as pawfect base for an active dog-walking holiday. Located beneath iconic Roseberry Topping on the flank of the North Yorkshire Moors National Park, seaside gems including Staithes, Whitby, and Scarborough are also just a short drive away, so guests have the option of both country and coastal walks. To satisfy hearty appetites, the Inn offers delicious, home-cooked food from hearty breakfasts through to relaxed British pub classics. There is also Sir Woofchester’s dog menu. From £99 per night.
11. Best for Spa – South Lodge Hotel & Spa, Nr Horsham, West Sussex: for a pampering stay, with wonderful walks and bags of style, this five-star luxury country hotel bordering the beautiful South Downs National Park was a clear winner for its category. The state-of-the-art spa boasts a gym, spin studio, indoor pool, outdoor hydrotherapy pool, wild swimming pool, a thermal suite and a wealth of treatments. Plus, an in-room pillow menu will ensure a blissful night’s sleep. Beyond the spa, guests can further unwind in 93 acres of woodland and dine in a choice of three award-winning restaurants. Dogs can expect a five-star welcome, endless exploring and dining with their human in the Great Hall. From £625 per night.
12. Most Instagrammable – The Bell in Ticehurst, Ticehurst, East Sussex: there are quirky touches at every turn at this 16th-century hotel and pub, so dogs will be able to capture plenty for their grid – cuddles round one of the lodge’s fire pits being the ultimate social scoop! Beyond Ticehurst, Hastings, Tunbridge Wells and Rye are all around a 30-minute drive to supercharge a four-legged influencer’s account. From £150 per night.
Judged in PetsPyjamas’ consistent gold-standard of dog-friendliness, the awards took into consideration a dog-loving atmosphere and staff at all times; three or more dog-friendly rooms available to book; four-legged access to some of the property’s communal areas and the ability to dine with their owners with special pet menus being a bonus; dog facilities and provisions such as a bed, bowls and treats in the property; and nearby dog-friendly attractions such as a fabulous doggy walks or a dog-friendly beach.
PetsPyjamas Managing Director James Williams comments: “The canine population has grown massively since the first lockdown, so the hospitality industry has really stepped up their game when it comes to welcoming four-legged friends. Having been at the forefront of dog-friendly holidays since 2014, PetsPyjamas really knows what makes the perfect dog-cation and our awards recognise the properties that excel in their own breed of break! With 12 properties to choose from, hounds and their humans now have a brilliant bucket list to work through in 2022!”
PetsPyamas offer exceptional dog-friendly packages that you won’t find anywhere else. Dogs stay free and, with their first holiday booking, customers automatically become members of PetsPyjamas’ Priority Paws membership club, which gives dogs and their owners access to their own VIP pet concierge, complimentary 24/7 vet line access for the duration of their trip, VIP discounts and exclusive deals.